A 50-Day Study of the Holy Spirit

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 11 - The Holy Spirit Is NOT an It


Chuck Swindoll writes this about the Holy Spirit:
There are some things the Spirit of God is not. Let me point out three or four erroneous ideas that many people have about the Holy Spirit…I have often heard Him called an “it”…so let’s start there.
The Spirit is NOT an “it,” but a distinct personality.

Look at John 14:14-17.
You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you.
It’s kind of overwhelming, isn’t it? But we don’t have to understand everything. I don’t understand all the properties of wind, but I am convinced of its power. Similarly, the power of the Holy Spirit is incredible and awesome. And I know Him. And He knows me and lives in me. His power is both universal and personal. His understanding and knowledge are both infinite and intimate. He knows you and me. And that passage reveals thrilling truths:
  • The Spirit is a powerful person, not an impersonal “power.”
  • The Spirit is present around us and in us. His influence comes from the outside and from the inside. He is not swayed in any way by our struggles or weaknesses, but he is also an internal guide, empowering and directing us from the core of our being.
  • The Spirit is a truthful counselor. He is not a deceiver, manipulator, or ruthless dictator. He comes alongside with us to guide us.
According to discoverboating.com, “Sails work by ‘catching the wind’ only when the boat is sailing directly downwind.” Just as the wind is alive and when used properly can drive you toward what feels like the perfect day, so is the Spirit alive when He is at work in our lives.

He is not a destructive storm; but rather, He is the exact mix of guidance and strength to move us closer to God and the abundant life He promised.

What will it take for you to come to grips with what you can understand about the power of the Spirit? Are you willing to try?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen the spirit moves and moves me if I am in His direction ,thru the word, of Jesus. He is the Spirit of truth and the word is Truth, b/c Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.